Getting your diploma certificates attested can seem confusing. But it’s important if you want to use your diplomas overseas for jobs, higher education, or immigration.
This article will explain the key steps simply so you can successfully get your certificates attested.
What is Attestation?
Attestation is the process of verifying and legalizing certificates issued in one country to be used in another country. It confirms that your diploma is valid and genuine.
Different countries have their attestation process. We’ll focus on attestation for Indian diplomas to use in other nations.
Why Get Your Diploma Attested?
Getting proper attestation is crucial if you want to use your Indian diploma overseas for:
- Applying to foreign universities
- Getting hired for jobs
- Immigration and visa purposes
Attestation proves your certificate is legitimate and officially recognized.
Which Certificates Need Attestation?
Common certificates that require attestation include:
- High school diploma
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree
- PhD degree
- Technical certificates
- Mark sheets
Make sure to get all your relevant diplomas and mark sheets attested.
Step 1 – Notary Attestation
- First get your original diploma copies notarized by a government-approved notary. They will examine the originals and certify the copies are exact replicas.
- You can find local notaries public by searching online or checking public listings. Visit them with your original diplomas and copies.
- The notary will sign and stamp your certificate copies to officially notarize them as authentic.
Step 2 – State-Level Attestation
After notarization, your certificates need state-level attestation:
- For state attestation, each state in India has designated offices. You must visit the office in the state where your certificate was issued.
- Submit the notarized copies to the state home department or human resources department.
- They will verify the papers and sign off with an official state seal to complete state-level attestation.
Step 3 – Ministry of External Affairs Attestation
The final step is central Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) attestation:
- You must submit your state-attested certificate copies to the MEA office in Delhi. This verifies them for international use.
- The MEA will closely review your papers and sign off with an official stamp. This completes the full India-level attestation process.
- You can opt to apply in person in Delhi or courier your papers and get them back by mail after MEA attestation.
Further Attestation for Specific Countries
After getting India’s MEA attestation, a few countries may require additional processes:
- If you plan to use your diploma in the UAE, it needs embassy attestation from the UAE consulate after MEA approval.
- For Saudi Arabia, the Saudi culture mission must also sign off following MEA attestation.
- Check specific foreign country requirements to see if any additional attestation is needed.
The majority of countries will accept the standard Indian MEA attestation. Contact destination consulates to confirm.
Government departments may charge small administrative fees at each attestation stage. Expect to pay around AED 150 for each document. Fully attesting a set of diplomas will likely cost AED. 2,000 to 3,000 or less overall.
You can hire an attestation agent or agency to handle the full process on your behalf if desired. This costs more but is more convenient. Make sure to verify their credentials carefully first.
Following these key steps will ensure your Indian diplomas get proper attestation to use internationally. Always begin with notarization, then obtain state and MEA attestation, plus any destination country extras needed. With valid attestation, you can unlock overseas careers, education, and immigration opportunities!